COMMON GROUND U – 2012
Spring Session (attendance at all three sessions is required for completion)
Tuesdays May 8, 15 & 22nd
6:00 – 9:00 PM
$25 registration fee
Light dinner served at each session.
RSVP HERE to register. Please give name, contact info and organization.
COMMON GROUND BACKGROUND
Southeastern Wisconsin Common Ground is a multi-county organization of diverse religious, labor, non-profit, education, and small business organizations dedicated to serving as an alliance which acts with power in the public arena for the common good. Common Ground is an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization directed by a team of leaders from participating institutions and a professional organizing staff. Common Ground is affiliated with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF), the oldest and largest community organizing network in the United States with 59 IAF affiliates functioning in 21 states, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Australia.
Common Ground works to make a major impact on the critical social and economic issues facing Southeastern Wisconsin. Changing these realities requires new leaders with the energy and vision to make this happen. We invite you to become a part of this new effort.
Organizations interested in joining together to tackle the tough problems facing all of us and strengthening their own base at the same time should send a team of leaders to the 2012 CGU.
• To strengthen the leadership capacity and culture of participating organizations
• To teach leaders the skills necessary for successful public action
• WHY ORGANIZE? The history, traditions and values of our religious and secular organizations
• HOW TO ORGANIZE individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action
• HOW TO STRENGTHEN our institutions. Intentionally engaging people in a relational, action-oriented and reflective culture
• HOW TO DIFFERENTIATE between general problems and concrete, winnable issues
• HOW TO NEGOTIATE for the common good